The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Visa (Vanier CGS) programme in 2008 to strengthen Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher learning. Up to 167 scholarships are awarded annually; a total of up to 500 scholarships are active at any time.
Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
Value: $50,000 per year
Course(s) Offered: Scholarships are provided to anybody to study any of the courses offered by the Canadian universities.
Duration: 3 years (non-renewable)
Scholarships are distributed equally among the three donor agencies:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CHIR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
- Not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2018 (see calculating months of doctoral studies below);
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
- Must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree
- Intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral studies and research at the nominating institution
HOW TO APPLY FOR VANIER CANADA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP VISA
All applications are free and online through the website
Apply online through this website, the links https://www.researchnet-recherchenet.ca/rnr16/htdocs/login/splash.jsp.
Nominations that do not meet the eligibility criteria will not be considered